View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 02:20

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

brobin ~ I used a weights and measures convertor on the web to get the cup amounts, as it is not the way I would normally measure my ingredients, so apologies if the conversions were wrong. I think that next time I make this, I will weigh all the ingredients in grams etc as usual, and then put them in cups (I do have a set) to see what the actual cup measure would be as well.

BTW, I like your idea of putting extra cocoa in

Lush ~ I'm so pleased to come across another Nigel Slater fan - I love him and his wonderful recipes are so easily convertable for low carbing. Have you seen my Lemon Loaf Cake recipe, which is another of Nigel's recipes that I recently converted.

You may also be interested in what I wrote about the chocolate cake in my journal:

Quote:
The original recipe for Nigel's Incredible Chocolate Cake is in his 'Appetite' recipe book - and here's what he has to say about it:

If ever there was a recipe that embodied the spirit of this book, then it is this one ... It started life as Tamasin Day-Lewis's wholewheat chocolate cake, which, incidentally she adapted from one of her cousin's. ... I decided that I wanted a chocolate and coffee cake, so swapped the milk in her recipe for strong coffee, and also used coarsely ground hazelnuts ...

The result was quite different - in terms of texture, appearance and flavour - but I felt that there was still a connection with her lovely recipe. Yet I had made something that was mine, something that fitted what I had an appetite for that day. And you can do that with almost any recipe and rarely come to grief. It is simply a question of having a little bit of confidence to put your own taste, ideas and appetite into practice.

So I did, and this is the result

BBQman ~ if you can't have the coffee, then just leave it out - you may need to add 3 tbsp of water though to get the right batter consistency or perhaps try using something like DaVinci Chocolate low carb syrup instead. Experiment!

I did find that the cake is quite crumbly, but someone suggested putting in some whey protein as this might help to stop that. I'm going to make another ICC this weekend and will substitute 50g of chocolate whey protein for 50g of the ground almonds. I'll post here on how it turns out