View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 18:30

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Affyash, I have lost more than 50 pounds on the low fat/starvation, weight watchers style diet. I found it very difficult to do, but I managed by eventually convincing myself it was "good" to go to bed hungry. But a new way of eating does not end when you complete the weight loss phase. I found that in order to maintain my body weight, I had to give up more and more things as I got older (eg. cheese, butter, cream avocados. peanut butter .... etc,etc.) - now I was 'told' that this was because as you get older your metabolism naturally slows down. I also continued to have to ignore hunger pangs. After about 2 years of that torture, my resolve weakened and the weight started to return.

Six months ago I was heavier than ever (a very common situation), so I started my low fat diet again, but I also looked around for a better way. I was fortunate enough to read a copy of "Protein Power" and not only did the authors describe a much better way for me to regain my health, they explained why this works. I have again lost more than 50 pounds, at no stage have I had to go hungry, I have gained lean body mass (try doing that on a low calorie/low fat diet) and I feel much better and have far more energy than I ever did on the low fat/high carb/starvation regime. Oh yes, and I also eat all those things I was convinced I had given up forever.

The most important thing is that I have no doubt that I will continue this way of eating for the rest of my life because it is so easy, and it makes me feel so good.

That is why low carb is gathering so many new followers - because it works, because there is good science as to why it works, and unlike the low fat fad diets of the last 25 years....it is something you can easily maintain.

Cheers,

Malcolm