View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 16:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I found this thread from before, I believe it will explain some of the issues you have:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...highlight=snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenLady
Hi Grandma,

I'm a hypoglycemic, and have a better time of it on CALP. However, I found that after a few days on CAD, my blood sugar leveled off. I see that you don't have a journal. Maybe if you started a journal and posted your meals, someone could spot a problem.

The whole mechanism of this WOE depends on lowering your insulin production (my pancreas is an overachiever). The less insulin, the less fat storage and the better your blood sugar (unless you're a Type 1 diabetic). It's important to make sure that you don't have a hidden sugar in your CM meals/snack. The sources of hidden sugar are pretty amazing. My favorite is yogurt -- you think of the protein content as making it a good food, but the lactose sugar content is higher than the protein. Also, sandwich and other processed meats have sugar added (and often nitrates/nitrites, also not good for you), as well as many salad dressings.

There is a quick link to the right of this post called "Hidden Carbs Inspector" which can help.

Some days, my blood sugar dips between meals, so I have a high-protein snack -- e.g., canned tuna, leftover meat, hardboiled egg. This helps greatly, and I don't gain weight from it. It can slow some people down, but it's better to be healthy and feel good.

Sometimes, just changing your WOE can create havoc with your blood sugar. Give it a little time, but also be good to yourself. Don't endanger your health and well-being -- if you get a hypoglycemic attack, treat it appropriately with high protein. You should be fine.

Hope this helps.