View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 00:15
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I lost most of my weight (40 lbs) from March to August of 2003. As you can see I lost pretty fast. I had no stalls that lasted more than a two or three days. I ate 20-25 net carbs most of this time - with the occasional higher carb day (under 40) maybe once a week. I was exercising semi-regular a couple times per week. Some weights and hiking.

In August I went on holiday for a month - allowed myself a few more treats. I maintained because I was active.

In Sept, I had a hard time getting back on the wagon strictly. I was eating too many frankenfoods and lc treats. I fluctuated between 168 and 174 from Sept to Feb 2004.

Then I gave myself a good talking to. It's important to me - mentally - to reach my goal, so I kicked it into high gear again. I'm bicycling a lot and doing weights 2x per week, mostly upper body. This is only in the last few weeks, mind you. I've dropped almost another 10 lbs pretty quick. I think I could get these last few pounds off pretty quick, but I've decided to slow things down.

I haven't properly found my carb level for maintenance because I've been really very happy at my current carb level, and maybe a little scared to up them quick enough.

To drop those 10 lbs I had to really take a look at my portion sizes. I was eating the same amounts I had been 20 and 30 lbs ago. So I was maintaining. A few little changes got the scale moving again. I also eat more protein and carbs and a bit less fat.

I'd have to say my loss is about the same as before - 1.5 to 2 lbs per week. The plan works for me, as long as I work the plan.

Hope that helps. Everyone's different. I'm not very metabolically resistant obviously. And I'm pretty strict with myself becuase I tend to be impatient. When my head is in the right place, I want to lose fast (always staying healthy, though).

Other people are happy to lose at a slower pace, and find life more bearable with a few treats. My friend is doing great with that approach.

In the long run, it might even be better. I don't know. I suppose some people think I should have upped my carbs more by now, but I have a good variety of fruits and veggies and such because I don't spend my carbs on very many LC products or snack items.

I think everyone has to undertake this journey at their own pace. Me, I go fast, then take a breather, then go fast. Other people are slow and steady.

Good luck with your last 10 lbs.

Man, I sure do blabber on. I'm spending way too much time on these forums in the last couple days!