View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 19:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/126.6/125 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 91%

I thought this cheesecake was awful - HORRIBLE STRONG Splenda aftertaste. I actually contacted the company, this is the letter I sent (maybe I was wrong and it is just me):

"Hello,

I purchased your low carb cheesecake at Meijer in Okemos, MI last week. I was excited to try something new, at a comparable price to a 'regular' cheesecake. Unfortunately, it failed the taste test.

I was pleased to see that the cheesecake did not have sugar alcohols, but on tasting, the sucralose aftertaste was overwhelming. I use Splenda as my sweetener of choice for many things, but have had difficulty using it in some situations. I don't notice an aftertaste when using Splenda in my coffee, but my attempt to use it as the sweetner for a cream cheese frosting on a carrot cake made the cake inedible. I found the same problem with your cheesecake and was only able to eat 2 bites before throwing that piece (and the rest of the cheesecake) in the garbage. The texture was excellent and the appearance was appealing however.

I applaud you for branching out and offering a low-carb option in addition to your large line of regular desserts, but I suggest considering tweaking the formula. Sugar alcohols are not ideal to use, but a small amount in combination with Splenda might improve the taste. Another option would be to look at using a combo of 'good' sugar alcohols such as erythritol and inulin, which do not cause intestinal effects.

It seems that your low carb cheesecakes are in high demand - just know that low carbers will try most anything once and allow *some* compromise on taste when compared to a regular version. If your sales slow in the future, it may be because customers are not willing to buy this cheesecake a second time. I will continue to look at the label and if I see that the formulation changes in the future, I would be willing to give it another try.

Sincerely,

Beth "