Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowCarbJ
Why do body builders and long distance endurance runners have different body shapes? Because they live different fitness lifestyles!

Body builders are definitely heavier. Long distance endurance runners can't afford to carry that much unneccessary weight. Unneccessary for them! Long distance endurance runners prefer quickness and nimbleness over power and strength.

Now to me, this is just another perpetuation of the myth of the bulky bodybuilder.

When I ran, I weighed 170 pounds.

Now that I bodybuild, I have a 26 inch waist and at 5'8", I hover under 140 pounds. I also eat over 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight.

And keep in mind, Vanity doesn't bodybuild AT ALL - she's an endurance athlete. Endurance activity has given her what you seem to think of as a bodybuilder's body. And we know your opinion of bodybuilder's bodies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
If I woke up tommorrow and magically had the body of an elite body-builder. I would start a program of losing muscle-mass immediately.

You ARE correct that the type of exercise performed is reflected in the body. The problem is that we tend to self-select these activities. In other words, your body may have a great deal of difficulty gaining mass, while endurance-type exercise agrees with you. Mine does exactly the opposite.

This is not a randomized experiment - we cannot determine cause and effect - only association.

I rather suspect we end up drawn into the activities we do because our bodies are inclined to work that way, and it therefore agrees with us.