View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 15:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I can only speak for my doctor, CindySue, but no he would not be happy with those numbers.
When my blood sugars got out of control and I was put on meds, he wanted me checking (and keeping a log of) my blood sugars fasting and after every meal. Bedtime was optional since I wasn't on insulin, but I did it anyway. Now that things are consistently controlled, he has said that I can back off to testing a few times a week, but I still test daily at least; more often if I'm experimenting with new foods or recipes.
I know that some doctors recommend testing less often because of concern about their patients becoming obsessed about their meeter readings, and for some patients that might just be true, but my thoughts on the matter are you can't control what you don't know about. Besides...if you're going to become obsessed about something, that might be a good thing to be obsessed about since it has such a great impact on your current and future health status. How does it make sense to let your blood sugars stay elevated for 2-3 days at a time before you check and realize that they are too high? How can you adjust what you are eating if you have no idea what impact those foods have on your blood sugar?
I also have to agree with Jade. I think a lot of doctors have become willing to settle for "good enough" simply because they are tired and frustrated of patients that are non-compliant or just don't care (or want the doctor to do everything for them instead of taking some responsibility themselves). You can only beat your head against a brick wall so long before you decide that the aggrivation just isn't worth it. When it comes down to it, the doctor can set the standards but it's up to the patient to achieve them through self-education and compliance and too many simply aren't willing to put out that effort even when their lives are on the line. It's also nearly impossible to achieve good/normal readings with the standard ADA diet as well, so the patients are handicapped right off the bat even if they are compliant.

Quote:
BUT when you're glusoce intolerant, you keep eating gluocse? Makes NO SENSE to me at all!

It never made any sense to me, either, but I still followed the ADA diet for several years until finally my blood sugars wound up completely out of control before I wised up and switched to low carb. I think a lot of diabetics never reach the conclusion of "If what I'm doing is making me worse instead of better, maybe I should try something else." Perhaps because their doctors (as mine did) shrug it off as "the natural progression of the disease".