View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 15:09

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

I am wondering about drop out rates, did they mention it? The articles from last fall all showed huge drop out rates although on Atkins the drop out was non-significantly lower in some. Drop out rate is important if you propose for the population. Even if Atkins and low fat end up the same in weight loss after 12 month, these studies always have people drop out, and the researchers don't count them in the results, the ones who couldn't stick to the diet for the full 12 month. My impression is that it is easier for people to stick to low carb than to low fat, so that point is more important than how many pounds lost.

Interesting that the researchers point out the speed is less important than finding a diet you can stick to... duh.

re the lipid profile, that seems to be a YMMV thing. I have seen studies that show, as several here indicate, that the lipid profile is fine on average on Atkins, but several in this forum have joined South Beach after Atkins because of sky rocketing lipid values prohibited them from continuing. I think there is genes and diet somehow interacting in some but not all people.