View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:06

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

It's funny. My husband went to visit his family, who he hadn't seen in nearly 16 years, and noticed how large they all had become. He doesn't LC, but as a family we had eliminated the potatoes, etc., from the pantry, so he knows the principles. He just finds it difficult, as he didn't grow up on fresh produce, and can't bring himself to have salads as a choice. He is also lactose intolerant, so cheese is out of the menu, too (unless he wants gastric distress, which he will opt for if he wants to eat a piece of pizza or lasagna).

Anyway (I was almost embarassed to have him do it), he told them how great I had been doing on Atkins. Of course, he hasn't seen the difference in the last few months, but he had seen the difference before he left.

Now, why was I embarassed? Well, firstly, I don't want to be held up like a "poster child" for LC WOE, and I don't want them mocking me if I fail. Secondly, I don't want to be thought of as "different", since I've had enough of a time fitting into the family as it is.

We, thankfully, won't be seeing them that frequently, because where we will be living is about six to eight hours' drive from them.

However, when we are there, I'm sure that I'll either have to bring my own "extras", or cope with incomplete meals. I know their main source of food stuff is carbs (potatoes, bread, split peas, etc.). By that time, I'll be able to have a little of those items, but I don't really want to do that daily. Thankfully, most stays (I hope) will be no more than a weekend.

So, I'm reading with interest the coping mechanisms that others use when it comes to non-LC family members, because I anticipate having to use them in the forseeable future.