Thread: Splenda
View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/285/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 1%

The fact is, Splenda simply hasn't been tested enough one way or another. It was rushed through the FDA approval process. I think we're still learning as a society to be wary of the next big artificial sweetener.

Listen to your body - if you have any peculiar symptoms after starting Splenda, you may want to stay away from it. If you feel fine - then stick with it. Some people are very sensitive to it. I find that it makes my skin itch. It's possible that people with allergies to chlorine will have strong reactions to Splenda because it is a chlorinated molecule. It's kinda funny - in another thread yesterday about "Frankenfoods" a taste tester said that a Splenda product tasted like a swimming pool.

Anyhow, I think it's probably best to stay away from artificial sweeteners as much as possible. I know it's contrary to low carb living, but Dr. Andrew Weil says that unrefined cane sugar is likely healthier than aspartame from a holistic point of view. I have a big sweet tooth, but it has really been curbed on this WOE. I don't drink any sodas, but ocassionally indulge in a candy or cookie sweetened with maltitol or xylitol. I find that most of the time when I "jones" for chocolate it is because I am tired or emotionally vulnerable.