View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 05:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/170/170 Male 5'9" and some change
BF:
Progress: 100%

In my case, its usually the people I haven't seen in some time. The few exceptions are my parents, a couple of my closest friends, and of all people, the supermarket employees. I am pretty sure others have noticed in my case and in the cases of many others on this site. Why haven't they mentioned it? Unfortunately, society has become very callous when it comes to weight. There are many who feel that the overweight are "FAT" because they choose to be that way. The popular belief is, "if you wanna lose weight, stop eating". We all here know that simply is not true. But to many, that is supposedly the answer to our problem. Then when you actually lose the weight, they naturally think, "I see they finally stopped eating". Sure, people lose weight that way but in the process have developed eating disorders and damaged their bodies to a point where they may be unrepairable. I personally have a friend who's older sister considers herself "FAT" at a whomping 91 pounds. She is only 42 years old but looks 72 years old. She bought into the idea that thin was the way to go, along with the idea that tanning beds are the key to looking your best. Well, her skin looks like a sunbaked desert as a result. I figure she has been doing the tanning bed two or more sessions a week ever since the tanning bed was created. Her sister told me that all she eats is a handful of crackers at night. The rest of the time she merely drinks water. I can say, I have known her for over 6 years and I have never seen her eating in my presence. In a way, I feel sorry for her because society and media failed her. They painted the idea of what the "NORM" should be in her head and she can't see reality in any other way. That's why I am glad her sister recently came to me and asked if I could help her on Atkins quest. She had a baby two years ago and the weight never left. Plus marriage life has added a few more pounds because of the way her husband is accustomed to eating. He likes Italian dishes on a nightly basis and she couldn't resist eating them as well. Being he is one of my best friends, he too asked me to help her get started. That to me, is the greatest compliment I could have ever received.