#6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 23:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/175/170 Male 6'3''
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by concupnz
I guess New Zealand is still years behind in discovering LC lifestyle.Everytime we get any sort of reasonable press it is acompanied by advise from the "expert" dietitians who almost to a man (or usually a woman) put this lifestyle down...Dangerous,no long term data,damages kidneys,...."we MUST eat a "balanced diet".Makes me sick.Every mention of Atkins in the media is acompanied by a plate of greasy fried eggs and bacon,or obese people eating burgers,or if in print,a headline describing the Atkins approach as being "controversial" or "a fad" or just downright dangerous.
Interestingly,I have written over a dozen letters to various media outlets here in New Zealand,pointing out the advantages of a LC lifestyle and how it has helped me to not only lose weight,but to also lower my blood sugar to normal levels etc,etc. Not one has been published.In my opinion it is all about the influence of big business.Diabetes and related health diseases are now epidemic in this country,but media is driven by advertising,and many sugar laden companies advertise.Perhaps the biggest irony was reported in my local rag last week.Headline.... "Fizzy drinks cause obesity"..no mention of the fact that sugar was the biggest culprit,nope,although the article did mention that "diet fizzy drinks " did not seem to be a problem.The article was a reprint of a survey done in the UK. All references to sugar as the possible cause had been deleted.
Still I am speading the gospel as much as I can,I have made contact with several other Kiwis trying thec LC lifestyle.Things will change,but sadly to late for many of us.

Holy quacamolie you're right! Just look at the average supermarket. 80% or more of everything in there is SO bad for you, and *depends* on the insulin/sugar rush for the marketability factor. It IS about big business, and it is another sad example of how greed and sefishness can overcome or could over what *should* be common sense.
Many in the nutritional career area don't realise that they are being dishonest I like to imagine though. Yet I'd truly like to see one, anyone of them, give an honest, thourough and clear response to this article, after reading the simple four pages that as far as I can indiputably refute the whole or major crux of what their entire career and schooling has taught them:
http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/14/insulin.htm