Old Mon, May-17-04, 19:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnnabethin
Originally posted by Lisa N:

Lisa N i thought ATKINS was about avoding all CARBS and SUGARS, that's why I just kept eating Proteins and fats... i mean, Won't i lose weight faster if i eat more proteins and less fats than if i eat carbs? Something I hear a lot is that i don't eat a lot of healthy fats and that i eat too much protein, isn't it 65% fats and 25% proteins? I just don't get that!! I don't understand what they mean by that and what its meant when they "healthy adequate fats"... can you give me examples? What's your menu like?

Wannabthin...you really need to finish reading the book. Atkins isn't about avoiding ALL carbs. Even induction allows 20 grams of carb per day, mostly in the form of veggies, but a few other foods allowed on induction also have small amounts of carbs in them such as eggs, lemon juice, avocados, heavy cream, etc...
Dr. Atkins also said that those with less than 20 pounds to lose don't necessarily have to start with induction levels of carbs, but could go right to the ongoing weight loss phase in the range of 25-30 grams of carbs, again mostly coming from veggies from the allowed list for induction.
This link might help you understand more what you are allowed to eat: http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html
Atkins isn't about eating nothing but fat and protein, even though that's what the media seems to want everyone to believe. Typical induction ratios are 65-70% calories from fat, 25-30% calories from protein and about 5% of calories from carbs. As you progress through the different phases, those ratios will change with the carbs going up and the fat percentages going down. The ongoing weight loss phase (OWL) also allows you to add some lower glycemic fruits such as berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries) and some melons such as canteloupe and honeydew. About a 1/2 cup serving per day.
Also, staying well below 20 grams of carb isn't going to help you lose weight any faster than if you take in the 20 grams of carb per day in most cases. The original Atkins plan limited people to 5-10 grams of carb per day, but Dr. Atkins found over the years that people didn't lose any faster at those levels than they did at 20 grams per day and the added veggies provided a lot of health benefits to boot.
The veggies provide you with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients/antioxidants and fiber for regularity. They also provide you with something that causes many people to fail when it's lacking; variety so don't short yourself thinking that you'll lose faster!
"Healthy" fats are those that are found naturally..butter, olive oil, avocados, coconut oil, fats found in meats, poultry and fish. Avoid hydrogenated/transfats like the plague and be careful with your use of canola or soybean oils.
I also have to ask: how do you know that you weren't getting into ketosis?