Old Mon, May-17-04, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/147/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Having trouble meeting my carbs - and a hello

Hello all -

I've been a long time lurker here but have never posted. So, first, hello. I love the support I see here. So, I thought I'd get your advice.

First, the specifics.

I started Atkins on 3/22/04. I stepped on the scale at 198 and said, "Enough." As of today, I'm at 174. However, that being said, I lost most of that weight, about 15 pounds of it, in fact, in the first 3 weeks. Since that time, I seem to stall for 2 to 3 weeks, then drop a pound or 2. And so it goes. From what I've read, that seems to be normal? Or is it? From other places I've read, the average seems to be around 1 pound lost a week.

My main problem, I think, is that I hate cooked vegtables. As a result, I really struggle getting in my 20 carbs a day. Try as though I might, my tastes have not changed in that regard ( had read that they might with Atkins and they just haven't ) and I can't force myself to like that asperagus or cooked broccoli. Ugh. Anyway, I had planned on eating my way a slightly modified version of induction (more on that later) but now, I'm thinking I might change that up when I begin my exercise program soon. I now can with some of my weight gone.

For now, my average menu:

Breakfast:

2 over easy eggs, 2 strips of bacon OR American cheese omelet and 2 strips of bacon (More often it's the former)

Lunch:

Around a cup or cup and a half of salad that includes - Dark greens, green pepper, turkey or ham chunks, tomatoes, cucumbers, a bit of cheese, occasionally black olives, bacon bits. OR 11 oz steak with a house salad when co-workers go out to lunch. Dressing is always oil and vinegar or low carb ranch. If no low carb ranch I'll do the regular but always a very small portion. (More often it's the former lunch of the salad).

Dinner:

Meat (Steak, Chicken, etc., etc.) - Small dinner salad, usually one cup with much less salad vegtables in it. Think just a few tomotaes, green peppers, and bacon bits, if that. Low carb dressing because I always have that at home. OR A few pieces of ham and cheese. OR Tuna salad.

Now, for my 'modified' induction comment. On occassion, I will have low carb ice cream. Or low carb marinade on the steak, for example. However, those occasions are rare.

Basically, I'm really struggling getting those carbs in and I feel like my body is holding on to those pounds. This really concerns me when I start my exercise program.

Last weekend, for the first time since starting Atkins, I caved at Red Robin. I had fries and bread and beat myself up at about it. When I stepped on the scale the next day, to my suprise, I'd actually lost two pounds.

And, oh, yes. I drink nothing but water and the occasional coffee with splenda/low carb creamer. Which, I know, is also known to stall. That, too, is very occasional.

So, to my questions.

1. Could the low carb products, and perhaps the cheese, cause that much of a stall.

2. Am I being overly harsh and not objective enough when I've really done great in a short amount of time? I accept that possibilty.

3. Am I not getting enough carbs and especially when I start my exercise program?

4. And speaking of when I start an exercise program...in order to get more carbs in, I was considering perhaps every other day eating some low carb bread and/or wraps. Thoughts?

So...anyway...hello! And sorry for the long winded post. :P
Sponsored Links