View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:35

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, because Cordain's (Paleo) writing is so technical as to make you believe he knows what he's talking about. But since that time I personally have rejected Cordain and am continuing to follow Neanderthin. Cordain claims to have a group of researchers dedicated to determining the appropriate diet based on what he believes we ate prehistorically. However, he has no problem recommending canola oil, an entirely modern processed oil which, like other plant oils, goes rancid at room temperature and produces trans fatty acids and free radicals when heated. And the reason he recommends this is to make the numbers work out with respect to omega-3 to omega-6 ratios. That's tantamount to feeding astroturf (artificial plastic grass) to cows to simulate being grass fed.

He continues to denounce saturated fat as "artery clogging," which is the typical, antiquated, fatophobic thinking that characterizes the rest of mainstream medicine. There is such overwhelming evidence that saturated fat is not only ok, but necessary for health, that I simply cannot believe there is no hidden agenda on his part. The only reason he has any success is that he rejects grains, sugar and processed food. My perception from the discussions and from the recipes posted on this board is that most people here generally follow Neanderthin.

Howard