Old Sat, May-15-04, 11:31
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemamma
Hey Built.. are you saying it is better to do weights and then cardio? Last summer I was doing almost ALL weights and was losing great and my body was seriously toned. NOW... I was "told" to add cardio, so I have been doing about 40 minutes of cardio and then about an hour on the weights and haven't noticed SQUAT! Is that why? So do I ditch the cardio all together or what? I hate cardio BTW.

Okay, who TOLD you to add cardio?

Lifting is better for body composition. Cardio is for your heart.

Personally, I do my cardio recreationally - bike ride, walk when the weather is nice. But I lift like a son**ab**ch 3 or 4 times a week to turn my body into a fat-burning machine.

More than an hour of exercise at a time isn't a good idea because you start burning muscle.

And you should NEVER do ANY cardio before weightlifting, because you need whatever tiny bit of glycogen and blood sugar you have to do your lifts (the anaerobic part).

Oversimplifying a bit, if you do cardio FIRST, you will burn NO fat and build NO muscle. You WILL get all sweaty and hungry, though.
Do your weights for no more than an hour, and follow this by no more than 20 minutes of moderate cardio. You'll feel MUCH better, and burn more fat, to boot.