View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 05:46
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

Hi Joyce. Happy to "weigh in" on this one! I have high blood pressure.

I started Atkins in late January 2004 while taking Lopressor (a beta-blocker) and HCTZ (a thiazide diuretic). I lost 7 pounds the first two weeks then stalled. I had read in DANDR that both of these medications were big problems for weight loss. I went to my doctor and he changed me to Atacand (a receptor antagonist, I think), thinking that that would help, and took me off the diuretic as I had already lost a few pounds and he didn't think I needed it anymore.

Weight loss was still slow. I checked on the Atkins site and found that Atacand also could slow weight loss. I was able to cut the Atacand in half about a month ago and that has seemed to move things along just a bit. I'm averaging now about one pound a week.

One of my main motivations for losing weight is to try to get off the medication. It's possible that it is slowing me down, but lots of other people on this forum have slow weight loss and don't take BP medication. I think that ANY prescription drug has the potential to mess things up.

Not sure if that helps at all, but know that you are not alone in this. We are here to help in any way that we can!!