#2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 23:26
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there!

Have a look at my journal to see a link of what I'm lifting these days, and I'm really glad you're looking into some resistance exercise!

I suggest you DON'T combine resistance with cardio - it's not as effective as doing the resistance work FIRST, and THEN doing the cardio - builds more muscle (which is your fat-burning engine); and burns more fat than doing them together or the other way around.

Leg work - such as squats and lunges - can be done with just your body, progressing into dumbbbells and then onto heavier weights. When you are still heavy, you don't need to add any weight at all. You'll need to add more as you drop the weight - and resistance training will REALLY speed up your fat loss. Start with just a couple of reps (like two or three) and gradually work up to three sets of 12 with just your body. When this doesn't feel like anything anymore, start adding some weights.

I understand there are resistance bands you can get, but I don't have any sources for you.

Here's a website with some lifting information:
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
If you click on the left and look through the exercises, you'll see little movies that explain the movements.

In the beginning, almost ANY activity you do will help you lose fat.

As you get stalled, I would urge you to focus harder on the lifting - it really pays off.

Have fun! You'll love resistance work - it doesn't wear you out like cardio, and it really helps you burn fat.