View Single Post
  #79   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 13:25

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

this is why i don't believe in cals in vs cals out...

as my friend best said it:

I think its safe to say that on every single bodybuilding forum that has ever been created, someone has said that the key to dropping bodyfat is calories in v. calories out. I'm going to challenge that rule and throw a few things out there to discuss.

1. Does calories in v. calories out mean everyday, who says the human body has a caloric calculator that resets every 24 hours.

2. If you do a balls to the wall leg session with high rep leg press, ATF squats, drop sets of extensions, etc. do you think your metabolism, endocrine system and capacity for lipolysis is going to be increased, just say yes for my own edification, if yes, then odds are you can burn more calories than a light session or a day with no training, it can also be said you wouldn't have the slightest fricken idea of how many calories you burned in that day.

3. Calories in v. calories out is basically talking about thermodynamics, calories are units of energy, so we're talking more about overall weight being reduced, not just bodyfat, that includes muscle loss.

4. Final point...the calorie debate may be correct, but i think its safe to say that calories in v. calories out is more about deficit over a period of time, instead of just one day. Second, daily or weekly bodyfat reduction is probably as much dependant upon calorie deficit as it is stimulation of fat burning hormones, suppression of fat building hormones, thryoid stimulation and a bunch of other endocrine garbage that i would need a translator to explain or attempt to understand.

Overall point...i'm not saying that calories don't matter, because they do, what i am saying is that if someone is shooting for 2500 in a day and they hit 2700 it is not the end of the world and that training intensity plays into factors that we can't account for with calculators and macronutrient ratios.