#14   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 09:36

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind

That's an interesting suggestion with the long distance running. I have never seen a long distant runner with bulky legs. I have run before, but mostly it was about 6-7 miles 4-5 times a week. Now that the weather is warmer, I'd love to try running again. Do you think that will work? How much running should I do? And how should I modify my diet to support this running?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Serri
Only a couple of remarks. Meanwhile the pro/Master long distance runners usually have very skinny legs, but if you look at the amateurs, many of them have very muscular legs. I think it is much more about genes.

The basic difference between your previous running regiment and long distance running trainings are the once a week long (10+mile) run - if your legs "bulked" up from 4-5x6-7 miles, you probably will not see any weakening from the longer runs either. You might try to have more than one 10+miler/week - increasing the risk of injury, wearing down your knees, etc.

I am the last one to talk against long distance running, but to do ONLY to lose leg muscles could be either futile or if you do on the level that you lose muscles, there is an enormous risk of permanent injury.

I am 47 year old, with definite "anti-bulking" genes. Despite of this as a result of my Marathon training now I have same size of calves as my husband or my sons :-))) (Fortunately living in CA I do not have boot problems.)

Serri,
my best wishes, whatever way you chose,
take care:
Eva