#4   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 05:41
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%

Yep, that would be me.

When I started Atkins in January I was on Lopressor (a beta-blocker) and HCTZ (diuretic). I lost fine the first two weeks then stalled for three weeks. I began losing veeeeery slooowly. I had seen in the Atkins book and other places that these two drugs could really mess up weight loss. So I went to my doctor and he agreed to take me off of those and switch me to Atacand, which he thought would not inhibit my weight loss.

Still the pounds moved oh-so-slow. I did some research and found a spot on the Atkins site where a nutritionist specificially said that Atacand would slow weight loss. So, because my blood pressure was getting so low (107/76) I cut my prescription in half, and lost three pounds almost immediately. But since then, still slow.

I tried to cut the dose to 1/4, but BP went up a little, so decided I'll have to wait until I've lost a little more weight.

In Dr. Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution Dr. A talks about vitamins/nutrients that can be used to supplement prescriptions or in place of when possible. I have added Taurine, CoQ10 and L-Carnitine to try to bring BP down so that I can maybe get off prescription. I don't want to take prescription, plus I think it might be still slowing my weight loss. I won't know for sure until I can get completely off.

That's my take for now. Hope that helps!