#4   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 07:53

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jael
My grocery bill did go up...I never spent a lot of money on junk or processed foods, so I didn't see any savings there. The big change is that veggies replaced refined carbs - and veggies cost more than rice, potatoes, or pasta. This was especially noticeable during induction, when veggie portions are so controlled. If I was not full after one helping, the only thing I could have more of was meat. And filling up on meat costs more than filling up on rice. However, the extra cost has been offset by the fact that I am eating less than I used to. It wasn't uncommon for me to eat two pork chops for dinner...now I have one. I would eat two pieces of sausage at breakfast...now it's one. So my grocery bill is now about the same as it was before I began low-carbing.

I think that's similar for most of us that saw an increase in food expenses in the beginning. When I started low-carbing about 2 1/2 years ago, my food bill almost tripled. I was eating very poorly and cheaply before low-carb. However, it's gone down remarkably as I have both reduced the amount of food I eat and learned how to buy good, whole food in ways and at places that cost less.

Personally for me, Trader Joe's has been my biggest resource. They sell good, organic, whole foods at prices that rival the non-organic foods at the grocery stores. And if you're willing to eat fish that's been frozen, their wild salmon has the best price in town -- wild or farmed.