Old Sun, May-09-04, 17:02
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofi
People who earn their way to their goal weight should also be aware that their body will continue to redistribute the fat for at least 6 months. Amazing as it seems, your shape will change during this next 6 months. So work on your exercise program and keep on the low carb maintenance levels for your plan and things will change. Keep drinking lots of water too.

I can vouch for this from experience, since I was still really unhappy with my shape when first got down to about 130 last fall. I was pretty bony through the rib cage and hips, and all of my remaining fat seemed like it was concentrated in my upper thighs. Over time, though, the thigh fat has finally seemed to shift, and now my saddlebags are pretty much gone and my thighs don't touch at the top any more. I've also seen some major improvement in my arms and in the loose belly skin. The changes in my body have been more significant than I'd have expected from a 2-lb fat loss, and I'm feeling so much better in my skin these days.

I know how you feel, because it's a letdown to reach your goal and realize you STILL don't look like a supermodel. In some ways, it's something you're going to have to come to terms with, because Victoria's-secret-model bodies aren't all that realistic an expectation in the first place for most of us. After a certain point, it comes down to genetics, regardless of body fat levels or fitness; we're just predisposed to be thicker through the waist or hips or thighs, and that's where we're going to carry more of whatever fat we have. However, time and exercise *will* improve matters, if you can hang in there and be patient. It helps a lot to focus on maintaining your lean body mass and shaping your muscles, and to take the attitude that the fat will eventually take care of itself. Also, this is a good time to do some self-image work -- pretty much anyone who's lost a lot of weight has some body issues to work through, and you may find that your fat problem has as much to do with your head as your hips!