#38   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 15:27

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 240.4/194/165 Female 5'6" - large frame
BF:soft/round/cuddly
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcaver
I was trying to point out that the math was wrong. And I was worried that someone might read the post, dramatically increase their calorie consumption, and run into problems. I didn't make that clear. But it got me thinking and I've done some research.

Yes Joan this does help and no I am no expert. This is a hypothesis of mine and I was very interested in receiving just this kind of feedback and right now I'm lovin' it. Joan is very right, I did have my math wrong. In my reading I keep seeing that fat was less efficient than carbs for energy and that fat was 9gs and carbs 4. What it actually is is that 1g of fat yeilds 9 calories of fuel and 1g of carb yeilds 4 calories of energy....in other words 1g of fat gives you more energy than one gram of carb. The thing is like Joan said our body prefers carbs because they are a lot easier to break down and convert to glucose which is a really quick, easy form of instant energy. Fat does not so readily break down into such easy to use energy and like complex carbohydrates is much more slower to be turned into fuel so even though it yeilds more energy our body has a more difficult time utilizing that energy. I believe this may have something to do with why you can consume 1800 calories on a high carb diet and maintain weight and consumer 1800 calories on a high fat diet and lose weight. There's so many gaps in my opnion in the research of the effects of a low fat diet. I'd love to see a study on the weightloss of a group eating high fat low cal (1400s) versus a group eating high fat, high cal (1900s) and what the weightloss trend would be in the two groups, instances of stalls and how often they occur, things like that. But right now I only have the data and research that's mostly based on a diet that's high in carbs and what chemically happens to the foods you eat. I can't help but to think that reversing that pyramid causes a wholely different chemical reaction in your body and therefore very different results.

Please - everyone keep on giving feedback. I really think it's important that we try and understand what the causes of this "phenomenon" is. And I believe that with each hypothesis I and others come up with and each one we throw out or modify the closer we get to the answer. I believe I"m onto something here and I welcome......no beg, for your assistance in getting this right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcaver

SUMMARY: Lipids produce more energy in the body than carbs or proteins, even considering the different metabolic pathways they must use to be broken down into the molecules used in the common catabolic pathway. But not all the lipids consumed in a low carb diet are able to enter the common metabolic pathway, thus the metabolic advantage.
I really hope this helps!
Joan

Yes it all really helps, and thank you again, Joan, Woo, Nancy, all of you for your feedback.