View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 08:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Here is my reply.

I very much disagree. First, I already had Mastercook, I bought this as it advertised it was full of low carb recipes. The box mentions a low carb meal and menu planner. There was nothing in there, just the standard tools.

There are no tips on low carbing, nothing on how to improve the recipes.

The recipes contain foods that every low carb diet tells you to avoid. White flour, sugar, syrup? Low carb eating is not about eating so small a portion that your get carb counts less then ten.

I never suggested that you had to fill the recipes with artificial foods either. You can use almond flour instead of white flour. Oat bran to add fiber. Guar Gum instead of cornstarch. Gluten flour instead of white flour. How about focusing on low carb veggies instead of potato soup and carrot puree. There are many things you can do to lower a recipe's carbs and make it suitable for a low carb lifestyle. None of these things were done.

Lets look at some of the packaging.. "Learn from the professionals". Does it not sound to reason that there would be professional advice on how to make low carb recipes? There isn't.

I do not see how you can defend this product. It is not a low carb anything. Someone did a seach on the existing recipe books and took out anthing over ten carbs. They then took the remaining recipes and slapped low carb advertising on the box to hoodwink the public into buying this.

The recipes are not suitable for low carb diet. Period! If you followed many of these recipes you would eat twice as many carbs in one meal as you want to get in day on a low carb diet.

I sorry, but compare this to any decent low carb cookbook and you will see this is a shoddy attempt to sell more copies of Mastercook. This had nothing to offer a person on a low carb diet. In fact, I would recommend they buy the deluxe verion. They would get the same thing, but way more recipes that they can share with friends.

The reason I sent this post is to warn people not to buy the product. If you are happy with it, find, but I suspect you know nothing about low carbing. I want to warn low carbers against this which is why I put this thread up on the Valuesoft site. I have put a similer thread up on the low carb forum site. Thank goodness, many were looking to order it. They are not now. If Valuesoft wants to put together a decent product, maybe source recipes from low carb authors instead of the potato council, let me know.

brobin

PS. Rest assured, I did send my feelings to the company as well as a request for a refund.