View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: basic low carb
Stats: 219/202/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I love Thai food too, but I gotta warn you, those curries normally have sugar in them. Sweetness is one of the tastes Thai cooks work with (so many Thai dishes are sweet and spicy).

Luckily those are one of the easiest ethnic foods to make at home--you can get unsweetened coconut milk and Thai curry pastes in cans, and use Splenda instead of sugar when you make the curry.

My not-quite-authentic curry recipe is basically this... saute some sliced mushrooms. Add a couple tablespoons of red curry paste and a tablespoon of the thick coconut cream off the top of a can of coconut milk (not "cream of coconut," that's a whole different thing); fry until the coconut cream starts to separate a little. Add the rest of a can or two of unsweetened coconut milk, and some Splenda to taste (liquid splenda if you can get ahold of it--no carbs!). Then add some raw shrimp or sliced chicken. I usually add some drained baby corn (carb count seems low on this) and a handful of frozen green peas. Simmer for a while. When it's almost done, I add a couple handfuls of Thai basil leaves and a dash of fish sauce, cook briefly, and serve like a stew.