Old Fri, May-07-04, 16:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Low fat products were certainly promoted heavily in their day, but I don't recall lots of news articles bemoaning the fact that the corporations of America had jumped on the low fat bandwagon and that consumers were embracing the low fat dogma with fervor. My take on that is that the low fat dogma sounded more scientific; if you cut fat from your food intake, you'll lose fat from your body, right? 30 some years of that has proven that notion dead wrong.

I think its because it was the first really big diet craze to hit. Everyone jumped on board because it was touted as being the cure for everything from cancer to heart disease and obesity. All these doctors, like Ornish and the PCRM and vegetarians all jumped on board and pretty much everyone was riding the same train. There weren't many hold-outs from this diet craze and they were called "lunatic fringe" and everyone partied on snackwells.

It wasn't until significant numbers of people started jumping off the band wagon and book sales and speaker salaries of the low-fat guru's started going down, that they started publically bashing the low-carb approach.

I think it's just you're seeing two titans fighting right now. Both of them are driven by big money, book sales, guru status and all. Meanwhile everyone is watching the war over our fat and health and wondering who the hell has the right story. Some of us think we know, but heck, I thought I knew back in the low-fat days too.