View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 14:52
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi

Majority of Low-Carb Dieters are in 'Calorie Denial'Thursday May 6, 5:20 am ET

Should people following a low carb diet worry about getting all of the essential nutrients their body needs?

* Consumers Say: Over half (55%) of those trying to reduce their carbs do not worry about getting all the essential nutrients they need in their
diets.

* Doctors Say: 95% of doctors say it is important to get essential
nutrients when following a low carb diet. 45% of doctors are
extremely concerned that their patients following a low carb diet are
not getting the essential nutrients they need.

Lies, damn lies & statistics!

I hate this type of article, not because of what it is trying to say but the lousy way they try to justify it.

If 55% of consumers do not worry about getting the essential nutrients, then 45% do worry about it.

If 45% of doctors are concerned their patients aren't getting enough of the essential nutrients, then 55% of them aren't concerned.

Same percentage here people! Quit trying to re-phrase it so that consumers look stupid!

And throwing in the 95% of doctors saying getting all your essential nutrients is important is just stupid, other than the fact that I wouldn't want to have one of the 5% of doctors who doesn't think getting essential nutrients is important as my doctor!

As for the calories issue, I think it's quite plain and already proven through recent studies that if calories do matter, a diet low in carbohydrates means that they matter less than they do on a high carbohydrate diet.

Personally, I believe calories matter. But, it would be a moot point without my low-carb diet because without it, I can't reduce my calories for any significant period of time without it leading to a binge/relapse back to old eating patterns. And I'm sure that low carbing means that we can eat more calories than those who just cut calories but are still eating high carb.

Valerie