Old Thu, May-06-04, 12:08
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
How many on this board are serious athletes? And how many serious athletes have weight problems?

I'm a serious weightlifter. I also have way too much bodyfat and I have terrible trouble getting rid of it. The scale and I have major battles--in fact, right now I'm on a non-weighing phase because I just can't take it.

I did Atkins for nearly a year, and while I was happy with the weight loss, I was very unhappy with my performance in the gym. I "bonked" frequently, felt horrible during workouts, and didn't see much improvement in my lifting ability.

Things got better when I did a Body-for-Life challenge. I raised my daily carb limit to 100 and targeted it around the workouts. I lost about 10 lbs of fat doing this, if my calipers are to be believed. However, I ended up having energy only for the workouts, with little left over for anything else--I think that's because the intense exercise meant I was staying in ketosis even at ~100 carbs/day.

I am currently doing BodyRx, which is a high-protein and controlled-carb plan, rather than a low carb plan. The carb levels are high enough to keep me out of ketosis...and finally I have the energy to make big improvements in the gym.

We shall see what happens with the fat loss...it's too early to tell yet.