View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 21:36

Plan: undecided
Stats: 215/210/190 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Hello! Newbie and have questions.

I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and save bandwidth by saying hello and asking a few questions.

I am not currently on any sort of diet, other than a balanced diet of carbs, meats, dairy, and lots of vegetables, and plenty of exercise. I feel in good health, but I am still rather young, 27 years.

The main reason I came here was to maybe get some clarification.

So here's the scenario: I'm doing a persuasive speech for a class I need before I can graduate, (Computer Science major), and I thought I would do a speech on the dangers of low-carb diets such as Atkins. I just spent about an hour here reading the 10 or so pages of a heated discussion from a web troll (dontcha just love em?)

Anywho, In all of my research, I have only found one short study (1 year) done by the New England Journal of Medicine of low-carb, high-protein, high-fat diets versus the classic low-fat, low-calorie, high-carb diets. Other studies are in progress to test over 5 years. The only thing the study mentions was that "low-carbohydrate diet was associated with a greater improvement in some risk factors for coronary heart disease". It also mentions that low-carbers had a higher cholesterol count, both LDL and HDL, than the low-fat dieters.

My biology teacher who has a PhD in biology also mentions that the rapid loss of ketones (from burning fat instead of carbs) can lead to certain problems as well, namely liver and kidney. I have been really hard pressed to find much information on this as well, as it seems to only be a risk for people with diabetes.

I'm starting to think I should ditch my topic and go pro-Atkins, the benefits may outweight the drawbacks. Does anyone know of any long term studies on low-carb diets?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help. Sorry for the long post. My speech is tomorrow and my stupid procrastination habits are biting me in the butt again!
Sponsored Links