#5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 21:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile cyclamates

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so I don't use sweeteners a lot, but I have been using cyclamate for years ... SugarTwin is the most common brand in Canada ... yes, Sucaryl too. Most generic and NoName sweeteners are made with cyclamate. It's a lot less expensive than Equal/nutrasweet and Splenda especially. It stays stable in heat, so you can cook with it, and it'll stay sweet. It also requires less maltodextrin filler than Splenda to make it bulky ... so it has only half the carbs. There's a liquid version that's ZERO carb, and a tablet form that's 0.02g. Personally, I like the taste better than Splenda .. or, if you mix the two together, gives an excellent sweet taste, without any bitter aftertaste, and you can use less overall (eg, 2 packets of each together will give the same sweetness as 6 packets of either one alone)

There's a petition before the FDA to have cyclamate approved for re-introduction to the US market. As of October 1 this year, it's in "abeyance" which means that the Office of Premarket Approval has reviewed the application and found it to be "deficient". The application will not be reviewed further until Abbott Laboratories, the "petitioner", can cough up whatever paperwork or documentation is necessary to correct the deficiency. Then, it will be put back on the waiting list to be reviewed.

Don't ya just love bureaucracy???

Global Drugs is an online pharmacy based in Alberta Canada, they have both Sucaryl and SugarTwin cyclamate products and they will ship to the US. The prices are in US $. Check them out here. There's a brown sugar flavoured SugarTwin that's nice ... in small amounts. Too much and it gets bitter.

hope this helps

Doreen

p.s. - for the record, I use liquid SugarTwin (zero carbs) and liquid stevia extract (an herb, zero carbs or very minimal)