View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 23:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Considering you're 16 years old, and as you say, your metabolism isn't as fast as a lot of others your age, Atkins is most likely the perfect type of way of eating for you. I have two teen-age daughters, both hypoglycemic. One has always been thinner, but lately she kept gaining weight. The younger has always been on the heavy side and was gaining weight, too. Of course, the older one has a more active metabolism than the younger one.

The reason I say this is a great way of eating is because it doesn't negatively affect metabolism. In fact, if anything, it helps to speed up otherwise sluggish metabolisms.

The goal with this way of life is to make it just that, a way of life. You take off the weight and during the process learn to eat healthily. This doesn't mean that you can't ever have something yummy again. If you haven't read "Atkins for Life" yet I highly recommend it. Once you read it, you will understand the path that is now before you.

Many, many people have followed Atkins long enough to lose weight, but haven't been committed with sticking with it. Once the weight is gone they revert back to their old eating habits, and the weight piles right back on. This doesn't only happen with Atkins, though--it happens with all diets. The thing about Atkins is, it is a very satisfying way of eating compared to low-fat, high-carb diets. The more carbs you eat, the hungrier you get, so you eat more carbs. With adequate fat and protein in our bodies (which low-fat high-carb shun) we don't tend to get hungry when we shouldn't, and so manage to avoid a lot of the pitfalls of other diets.

Hopefully that will help you. I don't know if I was clear enough--I'm kind of tired tonight and am having a hard time making my thoughts coherent.