#2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 11:19
Wombat Ashramite

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey Monika,

I won't weigh in ( ) on what your doctor said about maintaining for a while before you move on. He understands the ins and outs of your condition much more than any of us do. A 1.5 pound/week weight loss is generally regarded as healthy, so he must have some specific reason for telling you to slow down. Did he say why? If it's just because you used to be heavy and he's worried about maintainence issues, then he may be operating on assumptions based on non-LC dieting. In that case, I might be tempted to proceed as you have been. LC is not low-calorie and doesn't have the same type of regain issues. But if he's concerned for some other reason to do with your sclerodoma, then I would listen to him.

So much for not weighing in!

Also, I would urge you to make sure you continue to eat enough protein when you start maintainence. As long as you eat regularly, eat good, whole foods, and keep your sugars in the right range, I'm willing to bet you'll keep off every ounce. I've done well maintaining my weight every time I've stopped counting carbs and have just eaten a generally LC diet, but have run into trouble if I get sloppy about eating regularly and not eating enough protein (from eggs and meat, mostly).

Congratulations, Monika! I'm so psyched for you.

xo Dig