View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Sorbee's, Estee, E.D.Smith, Cary's ...

These are all brands of syrup available in Canada, usually in a drug store (often in the diabetic supplies section) or grocery store, you have to look for them.

Take care and read the labels carefully, though: They use a combination of bulk and non-bulk sweeteners that aren't "technically" sugar (or SUCROSE) but are "sugars", such as fruit juice concentrate, fructose, maltitol, sorbitol, glycerin (sugar alcohols) etc. together with the aspartame, acesulfame-K, and cyclamates. Check the carb count per serving, they aren't zero or one. Don't get me wrong, this is just fine if your metabolism or tastebuds are ok with these things.

The only Splenda sweetened syrup (and no sugar alcohols) so far, zero carb per serving, is the Da Vinci... which is why I carry it because I'm dang fussy about what I go to the trouble to import

The Torani syrups (out of San Francisco) have recently started using Splenda as a sweetener, and they can occasionallay be found in places like coffee shops, who will sell you a bottle if ya ask 'em! They, however, are using glycerin in their syrup as a texturizer and bulk sweetener. Puts them in MY bad books.

Out here in the West part of Canada, I believe JJ Bean (a coffee shop in Vancouver and Edmonton, maybe Calgary too) has distribution for the DaVinci Gourmet but they only (so far) carry 4 basic flavours in stock (Vanilla, Irish Cream, Hazelnut and Almond? I think).

Hope this helps! { if not, click on my logo below and check the LC Co-ops official webpage }