Thread: No self control
View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 14:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

If it's physical, you need to stay away from the food so the blood sugar will stabilize. Whenever I experiment with new foods now that I'm on maintenance, I find occasionally something will drive me crazy with hunger and cravings, and the only thing to do is stay away from that food.

If it's mental, then you still have to stay away from the food, but one thing that helped me was to GO THROUGH THE FEELING. I'll explain:

I want XX (fill in your own blank next time you have a craving.) You imagine eating XX, and I want you to really enjoy it. Keep on imagining eating it.

Okay, you think this will make you jump in a car and drive to the nearest convenience store. (I've been there...I once cut a coin collection out of their little envelopes to get the food I was craving as a teenager. I'll never forget the cashier innocently saying, "Gee, these coins are so shiny.")

But you don't get stuck there, which is what makes you run off to the car. Just as easily as you can imagine how good it tastes, you have to GO THROUGH THE FEELING and follow it to the end.

Imagine eating it past the point where it tastes good. Imagine eating it until you've got that bloated, stuffed, headachey, fuzzy teeth feeling. Imagine how you'll feel afterwards,

GOING THROUGH THE FEELING means you are also imagining you sitting on the couch, with wrappers around you, and crumbs on your lap, and feeling lousy about yourself. Give this part of the feeling as much time as you did fantasizing (and that's what you are doing, goodies solve nothing) about the food you only think you want to eat.

Then decide, now that you've come to the end of this FOOD feeling that was only distracting you, what it is that is really on your mind. And then you have to deal with that.