View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 12:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I really wanted to add this as well, but not in the above post since it's general advice.

No matter where you go you're going to find recipes for failure in front of your face. Before you have to embark anywhere, make sure you have a plan how you are going to succeed in the face of these recipes.

It may be as simple as a dinner with friends, or going through a personal trauma like loved ones hospitalized or death in the family. This happens--it's a part of life. But I like to keep in mind one thing: It's not so much what we go through in life, but how we respond to the situation.

During the last few months, low-carb options have become more and more available. Many restaurants and fast food companies, not wanting to miss out on even one of our shopping dollars, will cater to your low-carb needs. Carl's Jr./Hardees has a low-carb breakfast bowl, a low-carb $6 burger, and will give you any sandwich you order wrapped in lettuce. Just tell them you want it 'protein wrapped'. Subway and Blimpies both have low-carb menus (although I've heard Subway's LC sandwiches are horrible).

Before you head out the door to go anywhere, make sure you are fully armed with snacks for several hours. On Induction these can include cheese sticks, pork rinds, celery sticks, and whatever's on the Induction list that travels well. Once past Induction, you can add some nuts to the list.

If you are going to a friends' home for dinner, politely ask what is on the menu. If they're serving a bunch of foods you choose not to eat, ask them if they mind if you bring a dish. Most people won't mind at all, and even a green salad will make a worthy addition to any meal.

Holiday get togethers can be really fun, especially if you're hosting it, or providing a lot of the food. We generally assign foods to bring to our dinner, but no one assigned this last Christmas. I think I took about half of the food that was served, and it was all low-carb. Granted, we have a few LCers in the family, but even those who weren't gobbled that food like crazy and left most of the carbier stuff barely touched.

Well, I guess I'll stop rambling on now. Best of luck to everyone who's joining this WOL! If you can get past the funny looks from people who just don't understand, I think you're going to love it!