View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 16:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

This is such an interesting question and one for which their are no real answers yet. I don't think enough studies have been done to demonstrate metabolic advantages.

For myself, I do think this WOE has sped up my metabolism. I can eat more calories and still lose weight than I can with low-calorie diets. But after reading and talking with lots of people on the forum, it appears to me that this metabolic advantage does not last forever. Like the body gets used to it at some point and adjusts.

In DANDR, Atkins talks a lot about "portion control". Eating till you are full and then stopping. Really, that is caloric control just using different words. I don't think I would have gotten fat if I did that! But maybe I would have.

I do think that sugar, starch, and grains effect me in a very bad way. I used to have terrible digestive problems and drank alka seltzer every morning for breakfast. I was always sick in my stomach. With this WOE, that has completely gone away. I had IBS years ago and it has never come back with low-carbing. So I do think that Atkins was right about some of the problems with carbs and high carb diets.

Maybe we just lose weight because the fat fills us up so we eat less. That may be all that is going on. But it sure is great compared to all the low-calorie diets I have been on and was always hungry, sick, and grouchy. Maybe low-carbing will work for many people because they can diet and feel good.

Thanks for the post
Orchid