#2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 10:39
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
(thats why sticking to a strict high protein diet for a long time can cause kidney problems.) The water weight comes right back when you start eating carboydrates again. No long term independant studies have been done to test the efficacy of high-protein diets (although 2 lg studies are now underway)

Gee it's been around since the 70's. So 30 years of people following the plan must not be long term enough.... Low fat made it big in what, the 80's?

Quote:
In fact, many of the plans including Atkins plan-declare such healthy foods such as potatoes, corn and many fruits totally off limits.

I've been seeing ads from the potato companies about the health benifits of potatos. Some of them just look depserate. Many fruits are off limits, like what? I know some tropical fruits that are high GI are eaten in moderation later in plan, but I've never seen any listed as "Never touch again."

Quote:
The verdict: Focusing on protein can help cut down on refined carbohydrates like pasta, bread, and ordinary sugar-all foods many people find hard to resist. But some high-protein plans don't distinguish adequately between refined bagel-type carbs and nutritious broccoli type carbs. If you limit fruits and vegetables, you're not getting the full complement of the nutrients and fiber your body needs.

Umm every low carb plan I've seen states your carbs should come from nutrient packed sources such as broccoli and bagles and other refined flours should be avoided. What high protien (atkins is high fat anyway) but what plan are they quoting? It sounds more like thier main source of information comes from media and hersey, not actual research on thier part.