#6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 02:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default re: the article

I think this is a term paper written by students for a dietetics course at the university sponsoring the story pages. The references are dietetics and sport nutrition textbooks, the JAMA journals cited are from 1973 and 74 ... and much has been discovered about insulin since then! Another reference was from a journal which accepts any article, with no requirement for scientific format or protocol. But the reference that stood out for me was this oneNotwithstanding the fact that the link just takes you to the Prevention index page ... and I could find no link or anything in the e-zine's archive ... something twigged in my memory .. March 2000 .. hmmmmm..

Then I remembered that I posted a rant about Prevention, and their anti-lowcarb stance ... and when I did the search, whaddya know, it was about an article published in March 2000 Here's the hyperlink to that post.

There are too many erroneous and inaccurate statements in this paper for it to be a valid argument. For example, on page 2, it's implied that the brain will go into a coma if the blood sugar is too low. While this statement is true in general, with low-carbing, this situation does not happen. The brain functions quite nicely on ketones and the switchover to ketone from glucose takes place while the body is being fed adequate protein .. NOT during starvation. Plus, the liver can make glucose out of proteins for those few tissues in the body which require it.

Another error, also on page 2 ... the statement is made "There is no solid evidence that high insulin levels make you fat." Well, the work and research of Dr Gerald Reaven (Syndrome X) and others would say differently.

And so on, throughout the paper. It's a well-written, but not well-researched essay, and would not get an "A" from me

Doreen