View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 07:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

"(e.g pulses, foods with probiotics, dairy, fibre from non-vegetable sources (note the recent studies distinguishing vegetable fibre from grain/fruit fibre)"

I have to disagree a bit here. Evolutionarily speaking, these are all recent additions to the human diet, and we evolved without them. So I question just how "vital" they are.

Beans are promoted as a good protein source, and for vegetables they are. However, meats are a better source, and any society with access to meat never refuses it in favor of vegetable protein sources.

Yes, we all like fruit. But prior to modern growing and shipping methods, a person would have access to fruit at more limited times of year.

People survived quite well in harsh climates, the most notable being the Inuit, without much in the way of vegetables at all, and no grains or fruit. It wasn't until peoples like the Inuit adopted a more industrialized diet that they got diabetes and heart disease.

I think Atkins and other low carb plans are extremely healthy because they are (you might want to read the book Neanderthin for more background) more like the way people used to eat for millenia, as opposed to the way we've all been taught to eat in an industrialized society.

Remember, there's different, essential fats and different, essential proteins. But there are no essential carbohydrates, and no matter the source, they all break down in the body to a simple sugar.