View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 03:40

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Atkins induction and most of OWL and/or maintaining at low levels are not the healthiest ways to eat. This is becuase they do not/cannot contain some foods that contain signifigant health benefits (e.g pulses, foods with probiotics, dairy, fibre from non-vegetable sources (note the recent studies distinguishing vegetable fibre from grain/fruit fibre). Certainly many people not on Atkins do not eat these foods anyway - they may be allergic to dairy for instance - but the complete exclusion of a large number of foods means it isn't the HEALTHIEST way to eat.

Related to this, early on in Atkins stages it is difficult to get most/all the vitamins and nutrients you need from food. This leads to an increased reliance on multivitamins, particularly for minerals. As a short term weight loss strategy accompanied with supplementation, this is acceptable, but I do think excludes. It should be noted that the particuarly diligent can meet most of the stated RDI's at about 30g of carbs, but the fact that some micro-management is involved may mean it isn't the healthiest way to eat (except in the few where it becomes second nature).

It is likely though one of the healthiest ways to lose weight (as distinguishable from healthiest way to eat). I think during the weight loss process sacrificies to optimium nutrition are made on any diet, but less so on Atkins then on a vegetarian or very low calorie regime.

I think that the healthiest way to eat must
- control hunger/ regulate input-output and provides enough calories for health etc
- control/stabilize blood sugar
- provide the majority of neccessary vitamins and minerals from food, and certainly those readily avaliable in food form
- result in a good cholosterol, blood pressure, etc profile

I do think that Atkins, once a few carb ladders have been advanced for, fulfill this requirements. I think there is a spectrums of 'diets' that do this. I think that Atkins maintence (for those that do OWL and can climb carb ladder), south beach, sugar busters, new glucose revolution, etc are basically the same diet in terms of what is actually eaten, although they have different emphasises in the way they are sold. In a way these are all 'the healthiest way to eat' becuase they are the same.

I think that for Atkins to be called 'the healthiest way to eat' in my require a couple of add ons (argueably promoted by Atkins but not seen by many as mandatory). In regards to getting most nutrition from food, I think Atkins maintence + high fibre + maintain very high vegetable content including raw vegetables + regular fish = healthiest way to eat (along with similar plans)