View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 20:49

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up Share your secrets for success!

Hi all, since all of us have differing methods for low-carbing and losing weight, I thought it would be a great idea to share your secrets for success! Figured it might help if others are having a hard time, need motivation, or have recently 'cheated' and need to get back on track....

Here's my secrets for success............

Before I even started this WOE, I slowly weaned myself off all carbs, ate less bread, pasta, rice, and though I didn't eat junk food or fast food, I concentrated on eating healthier before I started. This helped immensely with feeling sick when I started as some have, because the body is trying to rid itself of the toxic stuff we put into it.

I took measurements, so I can brag about it later, and plus, I have no memory! I have an excel worksheet, where I log all measurements and weight when it goes down.

I allowed myself one treat before I started, Starbucks Java Chip Ice Cream, when I lose 50lbs, I can have another.

I buy all my food for the following week and cut everything up on Sunday, so my salads are ready, meats/cheeses, deviled eggs. All I have to do is pack up stuff the night before and take it to work! I even cut up the vegetables I"m going to cook with dinner on Sunday, so when I come home from the gym, it's all ready to just cook!

I have made time for at least an hour of exercise daily. If you don't belong to a gym or can't afford it, the YMCA has financial aid for those who qualify, or walking is free! Freeweights and a ball are pretty cheap, and most fitness magazines are loaded with exercises for freeweights and stability ball. Local Parks & Recreation for your town will usually have different classes at low prices. You have to get moving, think down the road, when you're losing weight and getting jiggy with it, exercise will help prevent that, and exercise makes you feel better, gives you more energy, better mood, sleep better. If this is truly going to be a way of life, you must make room for exercise.

If I do have a cheat, I don't worry about it. I had one recenly on my birthday, my cousin took me to Olive Garden, I had the pasta gonzola beef dish, concentrated on the beef, filled up on the salad, and had a few spoonfulls of pasta. I also had cake afterwards with decaf coffee. The very next day, back on atkins, back to the gym, no biggie. The scale went up 3lbs the next day, but down a couple days after that.

While you're losing weight, stick to the whole healthy foods, after all, you are changing for life right? Atkins products are great, but they should only be used sparingly. I bought a case of Atkins bars, but only allow myself 2 a week. I have 1-2 shakes a week also.

Read labels! Every manufacturer is jumping on the bandwagon, this is no time to get lazy and start eating all the junk food in low-carb version. Stick to the meats, cheeses, poultry, vegetables. This site has great recipies!

Read the message boards, I've learned a lot in the short time I've been here.

Drink your water! Water is key, you don't think that fat just magically disappears do ya? You pee it all out of your system! hahaha. Well, maybe not, but drinking a gallon of water may make you feel that way.

Lastly, you need to get ready to lose weight, and Dr. Phil's book is great for that, it helps you address the issues that got you to be where you're at to begin with. If you are truly ready to do the deed and do what needs to be done to lose the weight, you won't feel the need to cheat all the time, if you find you just can't stick to Atkins in it's entirety, maybe you should look inward, figure out why you aren't ready. Get counseling, read self-help books, deal with issues before starting Atkins, this is all outlined in Dr. Phils' book.

I wasn't ready to do this before, but I am now and it's going well. I think I'm not losing weight quickly enough, but over the past month, I've consistently lost 2.5lbs per week, and losing slowly will help with not getting jiggly, keeping your mind to the task at hand and keeping yourself motivated to continue. The weight didn't come on overnight, and it won't come off overnight. Just think a year down the road, when you are healthier, free of disease, thinner, buying beautiful clothes, feeling great from making healthy food choices and exercising daily.

Sorry its' so long, I had a lot of advice to dish! haha

LL
Sponsored Links