View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 13:44
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Welcome to the forum. I am lucky I found Atkins before developing diabetes, but I am sure I was on my way there. There are quite a few people on the forum and in the TDC who have been able to control their diabetes by low carbing alone and one of them will probably respond to your post. At a minimum, as you seem to be finding out, low carbing should seriously decrease your dependence upon medication. Although I am not diabetic, I know that you need to be very careful right now to make sure that since you are on medication your blood sugar does not go too low. Also, if you are on any type of medication for high blood pressure you need to monitor that carefully as the diuretic effects of Atkin can make your blood pressure drop very rapidly.

I had the same experience you did -- I first read about low carbing almost two years ago and it was like a lightbulb went off in my head. I suddenly understood why I had gotten so fat and why I couldn't stop gaining weight. As soon as I started low carbing I stopped gaining and started losing. And I have the same motivation you have, I want to see my children (now ages 14 and 18) grow up and I want to see my future grandchildren grow up and I want to be able to actively participate in all their lives and not just sit on the sidelines because I am too fat and tired to move. I think that is the best motivation in the world for sticking to this way of eating.

Your body should probably adjust in a week or so, but in the meantime please keep a careful eye on your blood sugar and your blood pressure (if you monitor that). You are probably right that your body is seriously out of whack and will take time to adjust. Please make sure you are drinking enough water so you don't get dehydrated.