#9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 13:13

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Everyone says that sugar and insulin puts oxidative stress on the body, which I don't doubt, however the assumption drawn from this is that lipolysis puts less oxidative stress and therefore a low sugar high fat diet is anti-aging.

IMO I think it is more likely that the stress is not so much the result of sugar metabolism, but the effects of metabolic activity itself. Therefore, any activity which transforms energy is likely to put oxidative stress on the body and contribute to aging. The only reason people think sugar is worse than fat is because most people burn sugar primarily and so thats where the research is focused.

I could be *totally* wrong though, and it might be true that per energy unit (calorie) sugar creates more oxidative stress than per calorie of fat. I just don't think it is likely. If anyone has a link to a comparative analysis between sugar and fat metabolism and their impact on aging & oxidative stress I would really appreciate you sending it this way .

In TSP I, Dr. Schwarzbein says that eating carbs creates a higher oxygen environment in our bodies that is conducive to cancer growth and that eating low-carb can help starve cancer cells. Don't ask me where it is in the book, since I haven't cracked it in ages, but I do remember reading it.