View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 23:49
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

We've heard this warning before, but I remain unconvinced that the trend interest in lc will impact people like the low fat fad did.

Even assuming you do low carb the wrong way - that is, the low fad way of eating tons of junk food, snack bars, ice cream, etc and calling it a "diet" - you still are better off than you were before if you had a carb problem.

Let me give a personal example. Just a few minutes ago I indulged in a LC treat. It was 75% a glass of carb coundown milk (about 2 carbs and 75 calories), half an ounce of walnuts (1 carb and 90 calories) and 1/16 an entenmann's carb counting brownie loaf thing (5 carbs and 90 calories... if you count the sugar alcohols as part of impact carbs, then it was actually 9 carbs)

My treat was 8 (or 12) carbs and roughly only 250 calories, yet I feel positively stuffed. I feel like I binged, and it was a normal portion size!
If this were a year ago and I were eating regular higher carb lower fat food, I would have inhaled that tiny treat and not have known the difference. I might be tided over for an hour, but I'd be hungry again soon.
I thankfully never experienced low fat, but I imagine if it were low fat and high carb eating it would have made me hungrier :lol

Anyway, I do agree that doing LC the wrong way won't get you very impressive results. Still, I think if you are one of those people who had a totally wrecked sugar metabolism & hyperinsulinemia (i.e. MOST obese people!), you should show some improvement on LC, even doing it the wrong way.

As fun as it is to blame people fat people for being disgusting fat slobs who are the way they are because they eat when they aren't hungry, my experience is it's just not true. People eat when they are hungry and stop when they are full. No one eats when they are satisfactorily full. The behavioral/emotional component of having a weight problem is overemphasized... in my personal experience, it was 75% physical and 25% behavioral/emotional (oh, and it's worth noting that most of the behavioral problems with food were caused by spending what I can remember of my life afraid of low blood sugar & being incredibly hungry all the time).

Basically I feel that because LC snack food doesn't affect the body quite like regular snack food, I think most people will maintain their weights eating it without thought to anything but carb count. Very few could or would want to eat an entire box of LC treats because you would become overstuffed before that happened.