#4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 22:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenijeni
Per my Atkins carb counter book.... WHITE Vinegar has ZERO carbs per tbs. I hope so cause I use it alot! I hope it doesnt have 14 a cup! YIKES!!!

I don't believe those are real Carbs...Remember that Carbs are calculated by difference. Anything that isn't a Triglyceride [Fat,] Amino Acid [Protein,] Ethanol [Grain Alcohol,] Water, or Ash [Vitamin/Mineral] is considered a carbohydrate. Vinegar is Acetic Acid [5%] and Water [95%.]

The 14g is the Acetic Acid. 5% Acidity x 277g/cup = 13.85g Acetic Acid. Acetic Acid is a Saturated Fatty Acid. Because, it is not a Triglyceride [3 Fatty Acids attached to a Glycerol/Glycerine Molecule,] it not considered a Fat or a Saturated Fat, which is what it really is. Since it doesn't qualify for any of the other categories, its considered a Carb by default.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/fat1.htm

BTW, Vinegar has something like 2 kcal/g, proving that not ALL fats have 9 kcal/g...as is commonly claimed. Shorter chain Fats have less Calories. The 9 kcal/g is based on the Long Chain Fats in the typical diet.

http://www.coconut-connections.com/res2.htm

Quote:
The length of the fatty acid chain determines the caloric value per gram of fat. Shorter chain fatty acids have fewer calories per gram than longer chain fatty acids. Hence, it is incorrect to say that all fats have 9kcal/g. The shorter chain fatty acids can also assist with weight loss because of their lower caloric value and most importantly, for their ability to help people feel satiated. It has been suggested that people on low fat diets, as opposed to diets balanced in fat and protein, actually end up consuming more calories at the end of the day, making it more difficult for them to lose weight. In studies comparing different types of fats it was found that shorter chain saturated fats decreased fat synthesis and storage capacity. 7, 10 Hence, dietary supplementation with coconut (Cocos nucifera) or butter which are high in short and medium chain saturated fat can be of great benefit in those wishing to lose weight.