View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 11:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Ruth had posted this in the Longhauler's Thread and gave me permission to quote it here:

This post is Ruth's, not mine

I've got some ideas on what to do/make for the holidays.

I've got some ideas on what to do/make for the holidays.

When going out:

Ask in advance what the menu is. Bring along whatever you need to supplement what the host provides that is LC. Example: I went to a wedding reception last weekend. The only thing on the menu I could eat was Ceasar salad so I brought a chicken broccoli salad (more like a cold casserole with mayo). The hostess was not offended at all - especially because I've already lost 45 lbs!. I'm very fortunate, the people in my life, both close friends, family and mere acquaintances have been supportive and gracious.

If you can't determine the menu in advance, eat b4 you go! I've done this a few times and it works beautifully. Then you won't be hungry & can politely nibble on whatever is low carb enough for you. "I'm not very hungry" is a good excuse if anyone notices you are not eating.

Things to make: have you checked out the recipes on the orange bar above? The Cool Cream Gelatin Cookies have been raved about. I'm going to make them soon. There are cheesecakes, etc to make for large crowds. Most any recipe can be made in individual portions in small bowls, cupcake liners, aluminum tart cups, etc. In the kitchen forum Karen has a recipe for Vancouver LC cheesecake (non-bake) that is fabulous and can be made ahead without it drying out. There are lots of recipes on this site & other sites. Try web searching 'low carb recipes'.

Appies: try to have appetizer type LC nibbles on hand. I posted a smoked tuna recipe, see it here. Serve it with pork rinds, raw crispy veg like cucumber rounds, cauliflower, broccoli, radish, etc (and carrots for non lcers) I'm thinking of warming it in the oven this holiday season for a hot appy. There are lots of holiday dips. Pepperoni slices nuked on parchment paper til crispy make a good dipper. Ditto for grated cheese. Devilled eggs.

I have a rep as a baker at christmas time. This year I'm going to be stockpiling some LC treats, both for me and guests.

Cook large roasts and turkeys. Use leftovers to make wraps with cheese, asparagus spears, etc.

Other handy excuses for not eating what is offered: I can't eat/ I'm allergic to ...... wheat, potatoes, sugar, etc. Diabetics like me have a built in excuse

My suggestions here are limited, there are more ideas out there. If I ever find the LC list that had a huge listing of LC snack/munchy type foods I'll post it.

Who else has ideas? Help me out here, folks.