Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Dana Carpender: "Avocados rich in potassium"

Avocados rich in potassium

Dana Carpender, United Feature Syndicate

Apr. 21, 2004 12:00 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...1lowcarb21.html

Readers often ask: "If I can't have bananas on my low-carb diet, where will I get potassium?"

It's true that bananas are a pretty good source of potassium: One medium banana has 422 milligrams, which is about 12 percent of the recommended daily amount (3.5 grams). However, a banana also packs 27 grams of carbohydrate, with only 3 grams of fiber, for a usable carb count of 24 grams.

Bananas aren't the only source of potassium. There is a surprising quantity of it in animal protein:

• Pork loin (4-ounce serving): 411 milligrams.
• Hamburger patty (4 ounces): 234 milligrams.
• Sole fillet (6 ounces): 584 milligrams.
• A serving of scallops (4 ounces): 524 milligrams.
• Chicken breast (4 ounces): 282 milligrams.

All these are carb-free.

The low-carb potassium champion is the avocado. One California avocado contains 15 grams of carbohydrate, but 12 grams of that is fiber, for a usable-carb count of just 3 grams. And for those 3 grams, you'll get a whopping 877 milligrams of potassium. Avocados are also a great source of monounsaturated fats, the heart-healthy fats found in olive oil - a real nutritional bargain.

Guacamole is a favorite, but without chips, how are you going to eat it? Try spreading it over a grilled steak; it's to die for. Guacamole is also a terrific omelet filling, especially combined with some melted Monterey Jack cheese. My favorite thing to do with guacamole is to stuff it into tomatoes, and serve them as a salad. A medium tomato will add about 4 grams of usable carb and 273 milligrams of potassium.

Consider the half-avocado. Once you've removed the seed, you've got a nice big hollow, perfect for holding things. Consider stuffing avocados with tuna salad, chicken salad, cold shrimp or anything else you can think of. Here's a recipe for crab salad in avocado.

Dana Carpender is the author of 500 Low-Carb Recipes. Reach her through her Web site, www.holdthetoast.com.

[Couldn't fine the recipe online yet. Will keep looking - gotbeer]
Sponsored Links