View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 19:47

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

""He never used the elevators, always walked up the stairs. He was in good shape, not fat," said Herman Boykin, a security guard at McDonald's headquarters in Oak Brook, Illinois."

Sounds to me like the poor man either had a coronary caused by a spams of the coronary vessles or a fatal arrhythmia.

A spasm can be treated, and the symptoms (and treatment I think) are the same or similar to CAD, but there's no or little plaque build-up.

An arrhythmia is an irregularity of the heart that causes sudden cardiac death. If he was lucky enough to have this within reach of a defibrillator....and if there was someone to use it, he may have survivied long enough to have a defibrillator implanted. There are many causes of this, from a viral infection to the after effects of a "true" coronary....a myocardial infarction, where plaque blocks the vessel.

Last I heard, neither of these are related to diet, weight or cholesterol levels (except when arrhythmias caused by CAD damage). They can be successfully treated, but a lot of people don't find out until they have an event...and that first event can be fatal.