View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 11:22
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

AJ, I've only been doing BFL for a week and a half, but I can FEEL the results already. Not in inches lost or pounds on a scale, but in how much stronger I feel and how much my stamina has increased. So hang in there despite what the guys at your gym are saying! I've also worked with a trainer, and she had me doing many reps at low weight for 8 months, and it did work, but too slowly for my tastes. I see nothing wrong with women trying to build muscle, at least at first. If eventually you think you're building too much muscle mass, you can always revert to the low weight/high rep routine.

As for the attitude of your gym, well, it's a shame, but I think you have a couple of alternatives. You can ignore them--unfortunately a lot of trainers are set in their ways and not conducive to new ways of thinking--or you can join a new gym where people are more flexible, or at least find a different, more open-minded trainer at your gym. At the gym I use, the trainer I worked with didn't much like BFL, but several other trainers think it's a wonderful program and have been giving me a lot of encouragement. So I've been working more with them.

Just one thing I want to mention--I don't think you'll necessarily see a lot of change over the course of a month or two. The people BFL highlights in their ads--the "champions"--are the real cream of the crop (and may be taking all sorts of supplements ), and their results don't necessarily reflect everyone's. I'm on a couple of BFL boards, and people really do vary in their level of change even when they follow the program religiously. But as Hussman says, this is the very best program, in combining weights, cardio, and WOE. What else is there? It's GOT to work.

I also want to add that if you've lost 2 percent BF, you're doing great! No one's fat comes melting off--at least, if they want to maintain a permanent loss. Sure, a person can go on a crash diet and lose 50 pounds, but it will come back in spades. My trainer said that it took her a solid year of working out and eating right to see substantial results. And she's a young, fit woman. So whoever told you that you should be melting away is full of it, IMHO!

Good luck and I hope you stick with it. I intend to, because at this point I don't think there's an alternative. Please keep in touch.